It is officially July, and I had all the best intentions to post before the first day of summer, yet here we are almost half way through summer. This summer has been full of projects, friends and family, so the blog has taken a back burner yet again. However, just because it is past June 21st doesn't mean the front door can't get refreshed to finish up these last couple months of summer before the first day of fall.
I have been on the hunt for a wreath for the front door for a while now. I kept finding some beautiful options except I kept running into the same problems - too small, indoor use only, looked "cheap" in person, and were all overly priced. I decided the best option would be to just make the wreath myself. I figured it couldn't take too much time or money. So, I have pulled together all the necessities and a step by step for you to follow whether it be for a bright, cheery summer wreath or if you really plan ahead and start on a warm, cozy fall wreath.
Tools & Supplies
Wreath Hanger - sizes vary, so be sure it works with overall wreath size
Floral Wire - preferably green
Hand Pruners - trust me, these work way better than scissors
Wire Wreath Frame - sizes vary, I went with 18"Diameter
Floral Stems & Bushes - found all sorts of colors, textures and sizes at Michael's
As you can see, the items needed are pretty basic. The most fun and probably initially the most time consuming is deciding the direction you want to go with your wreath in color, texture and size. As you can see above, I bought more than enough flowers. I initially spent about $100 in flowers, and this was with Michael's 50% off sale that was going on. There was no way possible that I was going to use all those flowers, but you never don't want to have what you need in the middle of a project, and I wasn't exactly sure what was going to work best. My policy is often - "buy more, return later." At the end of the day, I spent a grand total of $47 on all materials and flowers.
The wire wreath frame is also pretty important. The worst thing would be to do all the work of making the wreath, and it be the wrong size. Buy multiple sizes, and check the proportions against the door. Above, the 24" Diameter is on the left and 18" Diameter on the right. The twenty-four inch option wasn't terrible, but it didn't fit nicely within the window, but it only went over a few inches at the window edge looking a bit "off." I also, could get more bang for my buck flower wise with the 18" diameter frame, so I went for it.
Start with the greenery/rope and create a pretty heavy base around the wire frame. I used a green rope with a few white flowers already attached. There were a too many white flowers for me, so I removed a few as well as added a few leaves from another plant (see the barren white flower above).
- Place your largest, most prominent flower around the wreath. DO NOT cut the stem. Below I show two options - a poppy and a spiky flower (not sure the real name). I loved the color of the poppy flowers, but needed a new texture and scale so went with the spiky flower. See below the comparison between the two.
- Begin placing flowers into the wreath, filling in where needed. Try to keep it as organic and natural as possible. Being too symmetrical will feel a bit forced.
- Once you have all your flowers placed get down in the weeds, and start connecting the flowers to the wire frame and other flowers using the floral wire. This is the most time consuming part and can be a bit tricky to get everything secure. Don't worry about seeing the wire, for the most part you won't see it when finished.
- Trim extra stems, leaves and flowers from the wreath. I mostly trimmed the larger spiky flower stems. The other stems I weaved into the wreath to create a bit more security.
- Hang up and test that all the flowers and greenery are in place. Then hang up and enjoy!
Above is a closer shot showing the two variations in flowers. Either could have worked, but it took less spiky flowers to get the same oomph than when using the poppy flowers. There were also quite a few holes in the greenery even when all the flowers were added, so I added a second rope at the very end. I don't recommend doing this, but it wasn't that big of a deal.
Below, the floral wire and pruners were put to heavy use. The pruners were amazing and made the job much easier with both the wire and the floral stems. I also frequently use these to "borrow" flowers from the park for floral arrangements. If you don't own a pair, I highly recommend spending the $15 and investing in a pair!
Overall, I have been very pleased with the finished product. It brings a bit of color to the front porch, adds privacy to the glass door, and has held up well. I wouldn't recommend hanging this wreath on an exposed front door, but if it is under the porch there shouldn't be any major problems. The plan is to store the wreath away this fall to use again next summer. Not sure what it will be replaced with, but I am sure I will find something.
Hope everyone is enjoying their summer by the pool, with friends and a few projects mixed in between.