This has been a year filled with travel- some for pleasure (like Amanda's wedding!) and a lot for work. While I feel like I have mastered the art of packing a suitcase (thanks to 4 years of moving every 3 months between school and internships) there are still things that I inevitably forget or items I wished I had that would have made the trip easier or more enjoyable. As the year winds down and the holidays (and cold weather!) approach, I'm really looking forward to traveling home for some much needed rest and relaxation. With the extra challenges that winter brings, I thought it would be great to pull together some pieces of clothing, bags, and other necessary travel accessories that would be perfect for comfortable holiday travel. Also great gifts for those you know who hit the road a lot!
What are some of your travel essentials?
My holiday travel essentials:
1. Winter travel calls for comfy layers that can be taken on and off easily. This Zara knit has a cozy hood to protect you against the weather and the watchful eyes of your fellow passengers as you sleep through your flight!
2. Just because you're away from home doesn't mean your hair should suffer! I always like picking up travel-sized products from brands I haven't tried as a way to sample their line. Alterna makes wonderful hair products so this set would be a great trial!
3. Amanda bought me a beautiful jewelry roll a few years ago that I use every time I travel. It's an absolute travel essential for any girl who likes to accessorize and this Tuileries Jewelry roll from Anthropologie is just so pretty! Travel tip: Don't bother wearing jewelry through the security lines- it will most likely lead to unnecessary pat-downs. Keep all your jewelry in your jewelry roll, packed near the top, and accessorize once you've reached your final destination!
4. I'm slightly obsessed with men's-inspired pajamas and this set from J. Crew would be perfect for weekends away (or lazy days at home.) Also no need to try and find a robe when the Fed-Ex man comes to your door!
5. Thank goodness for dry shampoo! Perfect for early mornings (or when you hit snooze too many times), post-workout primping, or anytime you need to freshen up your locks- this travel-sized version of Pssssst Dry Shampoo is an absolute must for any girl on the go.
6. I never fly without at least 2 scarfs (they make great blankets and pillows in a pinch!) and this cape-scarf from Madewell is the perfect cold weather travel companion.
7. I recently stayed at a hotel that smelled less than pleasant. Rather than trying to breathe through my mouth, I wish I had had a lovely travel candle like this pine-scented one from Voluspa. It's my favorite holiday scent!
8. One of my favorite things about winter is wearing boots! I love them! These Steve Madden boots are perfect for travel- they have equal parts style and comfort, plus a side zipper that makes taking them on and off in security lines a piece of cake!
9. No winter wardrobe is complete without a cute puffer vest! I like driving in vests as they're less bulky and restrictive than most winter coats. The faux fur accents and leather detailing on this H&M puffer make it a great add to your winter wardrobe.
10. I've already added these Anthropologie booties to my holiday wish-list! I love the gorgeous zipper detailing at the sole and the simple, stacked heel. Perfect for any day really!!
11. It's never fun to be that girl in the security line with a hole in her socks! Treat yourself to these fun patterned pair from Madewell! They're worth showing off.
12. Whether traveling by plane, train or automobile, it's important to stay hydrated. Rather than buying a $4 Fuji water, fill up a reusable water bottle like this gorgeous Smoked Pearl bottle by Sigg. Drinking water never looked so good!!
13. While I almost never check my bags, I do get nervous when my little black Samsonite gets out of my sight (I mean everyone has a black Samsonite it seems...) I love this clever little leather tag that would help your bag stand out amongst the crowd.
14. No matter what size my handbag, it always seems like I'm carrying several bricks worth of who-knows-what. This beautiful leather purse easily converts to a backpack, saving your shoulders from the weight of whatever you're carrying.
15. While a lot of things have gone digital, it's still nice to have a place in your purse to keep boarding passes, credit cards, and IDs that you might need while traveling. I can't even tell you how many times I've misplaced my plastic hotel key cards, only to find them weeks later in some hidden corner of my bag. This color block travel wallet is the perfect solution, plus it's made of super-durable and cleanable PVC.
16. Again, a scarf can go a long way while traveling in the winter months. I absolutely love this faux fur one from Anthropologie- it adds instant glamour to any outfit!
17. Get rid of your quart-sized Ziploc bag and replace it with this TSA friendly zip pouch! A carry-on must for all your toiletries!
18. Even passports need a touch of gold this holiday season! Kate Spade's Saturday Passport case in Gold Dot is the perfect accessory for international travel!
19. I love this dopp kit from Everlane- the twill exterior with brown leather detailing is simple and timeless. Perfect for you or your man friend!
20. For weekends away this oversized travel satchel from Sole Society is the perfect solution. I love that it has a separate compartment for your shoes!
21. Another great weekender from Sole Society- especially beautiful in this Cognac color!
22. This weekender from Everlane is another simple and timeless piece. Buy it to match the lovely dopp kit (#19) and get ready to travel in style!
Safe and Happy Travels this holiday season!!