Normally on a Thursday night I would be happily preparing a post on a tasty cocktail I've invented, recreated, or perfected for all to enjoy over the weekend. This month however I've committed to be (almost) booze-free (as well as dairy, wheat, and anything processed-free) as a way of cleansing and resetting after the holidays. All of this is a part of the Fast Metabolism Diet that I have been following for the month- and will post about next week when I've finished my 28 days of clean eating. I'm glad I've taken on this healthy challenge but boy will I be happy to indulge in a glass of wine or a tasty cocktail come February! In the mean time I thought I would share a refreshing and super healthy drink alternative that is perfect for when you've over-eaten, feel bloated, or just need a boost!
I came across this recipe on the Nutrition Twins website while I was searching for healthy drinks (a girl can only drink so much plain water.) I added fresh mint leaves to their concoction to boost the flavor and health benefits. Ginger and mint are both great digestive aids and lemon helps to flush out bloat and gives you a boost of Vitamin C. If you don't have fresh mint on hand try steeping all the ingredients with a mint herbal tea bag.
Lemon, Ginger and Mint Detox Drink
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger (or pre-made ginger paste)
Juice of half a lemon plus extra slices for garnish
5 mint leaves
- Put the ginger, a slice of lemon, and mint leaves into a mug and add boiling water. (Tip: Smack the mint a few times with your hand to help release the flavor.)
- Allow the mixture to steep for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the lemon slice with a spoon and then strain the drink using a fine-mesh strainer into a second glass.
- Add the juice from half a lemon and garnish with another lemon slice and sprig of mint.
- Enjoy hot or add ice for a refreshing and revitalizing drink. Great for drinking after a workout or yoga!
What New Year's Resolutions have you committed to? If you're looking to stay healthy and feel great add this simple recipe to your list of drink options!