Over the past few years, I have come to the realization that spring/summer are my favorite seasons. In fact, this year I have tried to extend my summer one more week and am down on Hilton Head, South Carolina hoping to get the last few hot sun rays that I can. Currently it has been a bit rainy with the hurricane, but I still have hope for the beach. However, I can't make summer last forever, so I have decided that once I get back it is time to fully embrace the beautiful fall weather with a list of things that you can only do during the season.
- Go apple picking for some fresh Ohio apples! The orchard we went to last year was so much fun, and I would highly recommend going to A&M Farm Orchards!
- One of my favorite things about the fall is all the soups & crock-pot meals that simmer all day on the weekend. A few years ago, a friend gave me her homemade chicken noodle soup recipe and ever sense then, it has become a staple in our home!
- It isn't time to decorate for Christmas, but that doesn't mean a few pumpkins & outdoor planters can't be added to the scenery! I am on the hunt for the perfect urns that don't break the bank! I am hoping to create this look this year.
- I know it isn't very American, but Thanksgiving isn't my favorite holiday, however I do thoroughly enjoy Friendsgiving! Last year, we didn't get a chance to celebrate, but we already have our Friendsgiving scheduled for November 14th & I can't wait!
- I can't believe I am saying this, but I am training for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on November 7th. It has been a much more enjoyable experience than I anticipated, and I highly recommend doing some sort of race big or small!
- Growing up in the Smokies, long weekend hikes in the fall were a must, and I try to make it out in the woods or on a short camping trip every fall to see the leaves change. There are a few places I like to go - Ault Park, Red River Gorge or Hocking Hills.
- It may be a bit early, but I have already started thinking about my Christmas shopping list and Christmas cards. I thoroughly enjoy writing cards and buying gifts, but I hate when it becomes stressful, so I try and start a bit early so I can enjoy every last minute! These were the Christmas cards from last year!
- Some people enjoy haunted houses or corn mazes, but I prefer a sexy, dramatic ballet. BalletMet, the Columbus, OH ballet, is putting on Dracula, and I don't know a better way to celebrate Halloween!
- Last year we planted over 30 tulips in our yard, and when spring came it was so exciting to see them slowly pop up from the hard ground and brighten the yard. I know it may be over kill, but I want to add a few more and maybe mix in a few other perennials!
- Last, but definitely not least, it is time to go through my closet again and decide what needs to be added and given away. A little fall shopping for a felt brimmed hat, some duck boots and a new coat are in the very near future!
Now the only trick is, is how to fit it all in! What are some of your favorite fall traditions/activities?
ps. Don't forget a lot of the fleas last showing is in October, so make sure if you have any favorites to check the calendar!