I am not exactly sure what happened, but somehow this coming weekend will be Memorial Day, which in my book means it is officially summertime! And with summer comes sunshine, sand, cocktails and vacations! The only trouble with fun getaways is trying to figure out exactly what you really should bring and what you can leave behind. I have a few things that I try to never forget when headed to a sun filled destination that I thought might be helpful for any upcoming trips you may be taking. I try (to the best of my ability) to use items for as many different purposes as possible reducing my luggage size as well getting me into the spirit of things!
1. & 11. I could consider a hat as being one of the most important items to bring along on a summer vacation. Of course, I am a huge fan of hats in general, but whether it is small straw hat or a big wide brimmed hat it is the perfect thing for those sunny days! Keep in mind they can be tricky to pack - make sure when you pack yours that you fill the hat with clothes or something else soft so that you can keep the general form of the hat!
2. Travel journals are always nice to have along, whether you use it to make notes of your adventures or so you can sit back, relax and write or sketch your experiences. Recently I have become a complete slacker on this, but I am trying to make more of an effort to sketch!
3. In the summer, I skip the typical carry-on bag and just go for a beautiful woven tote that I can use to carry to and from the beach as well as out and about. Just make sure to use smaller bags for compartments inside so things don't spill out on the plane!
4. If you aren't all that into the woven tote, this is another great bag for a carry-on or a 3 day get away. The compartments inside are amazing as well as the bottom opens up and is perfect for throwing in your shoes or towel! Don't worry it looks a bit small, but can actually carry quite a lot of things especially for summer when really bathing suits & cover-ups are all you need!
5. Sometimes just having a few extra things for emergencies isn't such a bad idea. With a Pinch Provisions kit, you don't have to take up too much room, but you should be ready for any small hiccup!
6. Part of relaxing is enjoying some tunes. If you go anywhere with Carly music is a requirement! This Bose portable wireless speaker is perfect to throw in your bag for the beach. This one is a bit pricey, but amazing quality and will be completely hassle free!
7. When spring hits, sunglasses are permanently attached to me! I love a nice pair of sunglasses, but sometimes going to the beach calls for a cute inexpensive pair, that way when they are covered in sand it isn't a big deal, you just rinse them with a hose! These ones are super cute with their classic shape and tortoise pattern mixed with the iridescent lense!
8. You can't go on a summer vacation without a simple pair of sandals that you can walk for miles in. These ones are perfect for a relaxing day at the beach or an dinner time. I usually throw a couple pair of sandals in, but if you have a neutral pair then really that's all you need!
9. I am a HUGE fan of trying the local flavor in new places, but sometimes it can be tricky to figure what is really "local!" However, this app Localeur is all about helping you find those! Localeur has the community helping you find the best local places to try whether it is food, drink or the perfect place to lie and relax!
10. I may have gone a little over board on the bag options, but honestly each one has a completely different purpose! A small cross-body bag is always an essential for me when I travel. It is perfect for carrying those necessary items, but not so huge that your shoulders are dying by the end of the day. This particular bag is super cute, and though I love the navy it also comes in some beautiful, bright colors too!
Of course there are a few extra things I didn't include that you don't want to forget including a good book, multiple swim suits (check out these ones), a cover up and a giant beach towel! Whether you are planning a weekend getaway or relaxing with friends this coming weekend, I hope you have a wonderful time in the sun filled with lots of laughter and love!