I'm always looking for interesting new recipes that take your everyday vegetables and transform them into tasty, can't-stop-eating treats. Even better if the recipes require simple ingredients and are easy to make (hey, I'm lazy.) So when I came across this sweet potato fries recipe on Urban Outfitters blog I knew I had to give it a go. Here crispy, slightly spicy baked sweet potato fries are paired with a finger-licking good avocado, garlic, and lemon aioli dipping sauce for a side dish or snack that is unbelievably tasty and pretty healthy to boot! Pair these fries with a delicious black bean burger for a memorable, easy summer meal!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
serves 2- adapted from Urban Outfitters recipe
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into fries
1 Tb. olive oil
1 Tb. cornstarch
1/2 Tb. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel and cut your sweet potato into sticks. I found it easiest to cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise and then cutting that down into smaller pieces.
3. In a bowl large enough to hold your cut sweet potato fries combine the cornstarch, paprika, garlic powder, salt, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper.
4. On your baking tray drizzle your sweet potato fries with 1 Tb of olive oil and toss them to coat. This task does double-duty by also coating your pan in a layer of oil so your baked fries won't stick. Alternately you can line your pan with parchment paper (but I never seem to have parchment paper...)
5. Toss the sweet potatoes with the cornstarch and spice mixture to evenly coat your fries. The cornstarch helps absorb some of the potatoes' moisture, giving you perfectly crisp fries.
6. Spread out your fries on your oiled baking sheet in a single layer. Make sure none of your fries overlap!
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the fries are browned at the ends and crisp.
Avocado Garlic Aioli Dipping Sauce
makes more than enough sauce for 2 servings. use leftover sauce on sandwiches or burgers!
1/2 large, ripe avocado
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 large clove of garlic
Juice of 1/4 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
1. While your fries are baking prepare this super tasty aioli by combining all the ingredients together in a food processor. If you're lazy like me and don't feel like messing up your food processor, simply chop up the garlic into small pieces and mash all the ingredients together with a fork until most of the chunks are smoothed out. The results won't be quite as creamy as the food processor but for me one less thing to clean is always a good thing!
You may need to make a double or triple batch of these bad boys as once you start eating them they're hard to put down!