One of my favorite things about entertaining is having friends and family spend a few days in Cincinnati to explore the city and to spend quality time with one another. Luckily we have a guest room that doesn't have much purpose except to house guests and my extra clothing! Currently, I wouldn't say the room is all that lovely. It isn't too bad, but isn't the most put together. It has a queen bad, clean bedding, a bench and a few small pieces of art, but it is time to give it some love. My parents are coming up in a couple of weeks for a work weekend filled with painting both the guest and master bedrooms. However, before they get here I need to have a game plan so we can do some serious magic, so I created a mood board for what I am going for in the room.
Of course, every little detail isn't going to be finished by the end of the weekend. Design is a process and sometimes time only makes the space that much better. However, it is always good to keep a running list of things that you want to add to a space so that when you are out scouring a flea market or Target and you find a fabulous buffalo head you know exactly where to put it! My list for my guest room for housing those special guests is below...
- There are a few obvious pieces like clean sheets, comforter and blankets so my guests have options depending on how they like to sleep - lots of covers or just a sheet!
- Multiple pillows that don't cost a small fortune, but that I enjoy sleeping on as well. The ones we have now are from Ikea and Tyler's parents liked them so much we got them four for Christmas this year!
- A few small trinket trays for when you take off your jewelry... still need to find a pretty one of these.
- A full length mirror. I always want to take one last look before I head out on my adventures in a new city, so I am sure my guests want to too.
- Lamps & bedside table for at least one side of the bed. Because of space, I think I am going to stick to just one side and maybe do a floor or wall-mounted lamp, but we shall see.
- Bench or some type of seating to set luggage on. Keep in mind this shouldn't be too precious or white, but can be a great piece to set at the end of the bed.
- Tray with a carafe filled with water and a couple of glasses. Carly always enjoys a glass of water before bed, which always makes me think I should just have one already in the room, so I have officially put it on the list!
- A larger piece of furniture like a dresser. Unless you have guests staying for multiple weeks they aren't going to use it, but it is nice to have it in the space to balance out the room. I personally use the extra dresser for all my workout clothes...
- I also really want to add curtains, but these can become pretty expensive quickly and I am still trying to decide if I want sheer or solid, blackout curtains. So this item is on the list for sure but still kinda floating around in my head... do I buy them or have them made? Any suggestions?
- One lovely last touch is fresh flowers or plant. Of course keeping fresh flowers in a guest room all the time is silly, but if you know someone is coming I highly recommend grabbing a couple blooms from the garden or grocery store.
After thinking about this guest room for probably way to long, I think I have a game plan. As you can see from a few images, I want to paint the walls navy but only 3/4 of the way up with the rest a bright white. The walls will be somewhat dramatic, but the rest of the pieces will be mostly neutrals with a touch of pattern, texture and color. Again, it isn't going to happen all at one time, but I am getting pretty excited.
I have to admit, I debated back and forth on whether to go light and airy, or a bit more dramatic and trendy. As you can tell i went the later. Which do you prefer? This week I am going to be putting a few swatches of navy on the wall and polishing that brass bed! What are your favorite things in a guest room?