April Fool's Day always makes me a bit uneasy... I've never been a real trickster myself- I'd rather be planning a happy hour than scheming away on creative pranks. With no tricks up my sleeve, I'm always on edge the whole day, waiting for someone to try and pull a fast one over me. I don't like it.
There are no tricks or deceit here when it comes to this delightfully delicious strawberry basil gin cocktail. It's just plain good! The fresh flavors of juicy and sweet strawberries perfectly combine with the tartness of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Gin, in all of its floral and herbal goodness is a great companion to the earthy and slightly spicy flavor of basil. Bring all of these ingredients together and you've got a rocking cocktail that's got all of the from-the-garden goodness you crave come spring time.
This a great drink for Saturdays on the patio with good friends or for Sunday brunch. If it's still chilly where you are mix up a big batch of these cocktails to transport yourself to sunny summer days. Cheers!
Strawberry Basil Gin Cocktail
recipe from Show Me the Yummy. Makes 1 delicious drink! I highly encourage to double or triple the recipe as you'll definitely want more than 1 of these!
4 oz. of strawberries, sliced (about 5 strawberries)
1 Tbs. sugar or more to taste (simple syrup works well too if you have it on hand!)
1/2 oz. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 basil leaves
1-1/2 oz. gin, my favorite is Watershed's Four Peel Gin
2-3 oz. club soda, chilled
- Slice up your strawberries and place them in your blender or Vitamix with the sugar. Allow the two ingredients to sit together for 10 or so minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the strawberries and blend together until smooth.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl or measuring cup. I found the mixture perfectly smooth coming out of my Vitamix so I skipped this step.
- In a double old fashioned glass gently muddle the two basil leaves.
- Fill the glass with ice and pour in your blended strawberry mixture. Add the gin and stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Top the drink with club soda and garnish with a slice of strawberry or a sprig of fresh basil. Enjoy!!
Have a fabulous weekend!